650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Cafe Racer > > Rear frame loop with cafe seat?

Rear frame loop with cafe seat?
    Forum Index -> Cafe Racer
bennecc

PostPosted: November 11, 2009, 8:26 pm    Post subject: Rear frame loop with cafe seat?

Finally I'm getting to that point in my build where I get to put things back on the bike, not take them off! I've got most of an '81 Special II that I'm building into a cafe. I've got a tank that I love on order, so now I'm starting to plan out the seat.

As this is my only bike, I need to be able to go 2 up. I considered having 2 seats and changing them out when I know I'll have a passenger, but I'm not crazy about that idea. Then I saw this $600 deal from benji's.

Seems perfect to me. First I'll glass up a simple seat pan. Order and cut some foam, making sure that the cowl portion is big enough and flat enough for the mrs. After the foam is covered I'll just fab a cowl cover out of fiberglass and paint it to match the tank. Perfect!

I'm wondering how the fiberglass cafe seats from omars/hotwing/etc. incorporate the tail hoop. Does the hoop fit up into the cowl, or does it require cutting the hoop off??? Since my cowl will be foam instead of hollow, I don't want to fool with incorporating the hoop. So I'm thinking I'll just cut it off. Another option might be to just run the pan along the hoop then cut the foam to fit. I'll attempt to cover the frame with the pan anyway so nobody would know.

Any welding will require me to pay someone to do it, so that's what I'm trying to keep in mind with the design. Anyone have any opinions and/or advice to offer?

benjis2upcover.jpg
 Description:
seat w/ cover
 Filesize:  361.59 KB
 Viewed:  461 Time(s)

benjis2upcover.jpg

benjis2up.jpg
 Description:
Benjis 2-up seat
 Filesize:  305.04 KB
 Viewed:  449 Time(s)

benjis2up.jpg

benztech

PostPosted: November 11, 2009, 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear frame loop with cafe seat?

I have the OMARSDTR cafe seat. It is designed to work on a stock bike. I cut the rear hoop off cause I didn't want to run the rear fender,

Forum Index -> Cafe Racer All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1